Sunday 28 April 2013

Back on Track.

Thanks to the gorgeous weather we had last week I managed to put in some quality training though not as much as I would've liked,  but it was certainly a big improvement on recent weeks and months. I even managed a couple of long runs  on the road and it was lovely to be out in the fresh air and sunshine.

A young boy I've been mentoring here in Harlow, Adam, took part in his second mini marathon and managed to do a PB. I was delighted for him. I can remember his mum, Karen, bringing him down to the track when he was only 9 years old and we sat him in my racing chair and his arms barely reached the push rims! It is a real blessing to watch youngsters such as Adam mature into great athletes.

I watched the London Marathon on TV and thanked God there was no repeat of the awful events in Boston the week before. My heart really goes out to all those people whose lives were wrecked by the cowardly actions of two very evil individuals. I was upset to see one of the world's top racers, Josh Cassidy, colliding with one of the elite female athletes. I think the organizers caused both of them the race due to poor planning. If the wheelchairs had been started first then that incident could have been easily prevented. I'm sure Josh will be back next year.

On Friday I was invited to spend time and motivate the young people and volunteers taking part in the Panathlon Challenge in Chelmsford, Essex, one of the 50 multi- sport competitions being held in 17 counties this year. I also presented the medals to these wonderful 'differently able' youngsters who really enjoyed taking part in New age curling,table cricket, boccia, and relay races that involved runners and electric and manual wheelchairs. I believe every child has the right to play and it doesn't matter about their limitations, physical or mental, there was something there they could participate in. There was so much love, passion and determination oozing from the youngsters faces that it was a joy to behold. It made me reflect and be reminded that the most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and take it in.

 I ended my blessed Friday with a lovely meal with my very good friend. I'm sure we all have friends who bring the best out of us without even trying, and we love being in their company whether we are doing something exciting or watching the paint dry!  It was a fantastic way to start the weekend so I thank them for their great company. Life is great and we shouldn't let circumstances and society fool us into believing it's not. Sometimes being silly with a friend is the best thing and you don't always have to climb Mt.Kenya !!!





I woke up early on Saturday to prepare for the first track meeting of this season but it got off to a bad start when my taxi failed to show and another had to be organised quickly. It's not easy to find a car big enough to take my racing and day chairs but we managed. We arrived in Stoke Mandeville on time for me to take part in the BWAA Meeting, but the weather was DIRE. Rain, wind, more rain! Such a shame because it is one of the best tracks in the UK for wheelchair racing but the wind was illegal so none of the times were any good for qualifying. I did manage 3rd in 3 races, bus as the weather worsened I decided to cut my losses and head home before my final race. Things can only get better.

This morning I played the part of very proud mum when my son, Tim, played striker for his team, Parsloe Athletic U - 12, and scored a fantastic goal from thirty yards out that he hit so hard the pegs holding the net down jumped from their holes!!! They won 3 - 1, so very well done Tim from your very proud mum.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home